By: Mathew Turner 06/12/2014 The economic forecast in many areas around the nation is bleak despite the establishment media’s constant drumbeat focused on spreading recovery propaganda to the masses. Fortunately, the Santa Fe area’s economic prospects are looking bright. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the April, 2014 unemployment rate in the Santa Fe area was 4.6%; well below the New Mexico statewide unemployment rate which came in at 6.8% and even better than the Albuquerque metro area rate which rolled in only moderately better than the NM statewide rate at 6.1%. The US national average unemployment rate is 6.3% for both April and May of 2014 respectively. We have long understood that an unemployment rate at 5.0% is considered essentially “healthy” and a rate that drops too low (like 2.0%- full employment) creates an environment in which businesses find it too difficult to find employees. At present, minimum wage in Santa Fe for all businesses affected by the living wage ordinance remains at $10.61 per hour. Despite the criticism from the many naysayers before the ordinance went into effect, one business owner seemed to sum up a differing account of the impact of the relatively new law from Sperling’s Best Places Report; “As a business person, my experience has shown that the living wage ordinance actually improves the bottom line, in that employees are more motivated and there’s much less problem with folks not showing up to work (e.g. due to problems making rent, cars breaking down and not being able to afford repairs, etc.) and it has reduced turnover / improved employee retention. Moreover, it’s just a better business climate when employees are happy; they have a better demeanor and attitude and it shows in their relations with customers. From a business perspective, I can say it’s improved things in our city. More cities should consider adopting such ordinances. The Chicken Little ‘sky is falling’ crowd who lobbied so heavily against it and out spent proponents 3 or 4 to 1 (but were still defeated!) can look around and see that the ordinance has, in fact, not “decimated” our economy as they claimed it would; Santa Fe is thriving! It should be noted that Santa Fe’s living wage ordinance only applies to employers with at least 25 employees, so very small businesses have a chance to get off the ground when they are just starting out. I believe that is a good compromise.” In sum, the opportunity costs of imposing the ordinance were greatly outweighed by the economic benefits. At present, new housing developments are under way in Santa Fe off Hwy 599, at Airport Rd and Paseo Del Sol West, off Agua Fria St, Richards Ave, and other locations around the area. The interesting twist being that it is homes between 200k and 300k that are selling more quickly than anything else on the market. Indications are that the luxury home market is recovering, but at a much slower pace. Homes in the Santa Fe area are projected to rise in value from the 2nd quarter of 2013 through the 2nd quarter of 2016. The upwards trend has been forecast with 83% accuracy. That is, there is an 83% chance the trend will occur as forecasted. The city has made substantial investments in creative methods to grow its own population like making funds available to non-profit organizations like Homewise and the County’s Housing Trust in order to enable Santa Feans with the financial means to own a home within the city or county despite the area’s prohibitively high housing costs- especially for those middle class residents and individuals entering the housing market for the first time. The emphasis of these organizations in creating stability for their clientele (they do not lend adjustable rate mortgages etc.) has made an unprecedented difference for the better in the local economy. According to Homewise, the ability to help 1000 homeowners purchase in Santa Fe adds an additional $64.7 million to the economy annually. The same Homewise report tells us that between 1999 and 2006, Santa Feans’ household income increased by approximately 24% and during the same period, the sales price of single family homes jumped 90%. The role of organizations like Homewise and the County Housing Trust became even more essential in the city’s efforts to keep Santa Feans in Santa Fe and to attract others from other locations to purchase homes in the area- essentially mitigating the effect of inflation in the housing market during the economic glory days prior to 2008 to some extent and continuing to add to the city’s property tax base throughout the recession that ensued after to the present day. And now we are seeing the results. The city and state also offer a wide variety of tax credits and incentives (some of the most competitive in the region) to incentivize individuals to start businesses or organizations to move to Santa Fe. All in all, a low residential property tax environment, an effort by the city, county, and non-profit groups to grow the local population through home ownership, plenty of attractive economic incentives for businesses to locate themselves in the area, and a stellar focus on residents’ quality of life have helped the Santa Fe area through some tough times. Remaining weaknesses include an over reliance on US Government related jobs, a somewhat poor secondary education system, and potential over emphasis on the tourism and hospitality sector. The city could make some tremendous gains by growing private sector employment not affiliated with providing government agencies with goods or services and not connected with hospitality and tourism. To conclude, the economic future of the Santa Fe area looks bright. There is still plenty of ground in which to grow momentum forward, but plenty of fundamentals are already in place due to well thought out policy that will allow the economic development of the area to proceed forward.
- Orange Theory fitness really works!
- The Moon’s Interior Could Contain Lots of Water, Study Shows
- “Powerful”: Huffington Post celebrates transgender “man” with period-stained pants » Alex Jones’ Infowars: There’s a war on for your mind!
- Pastor: Senior Republican Told Me of Plan to “Take Out” Trump » Alex Jones’ Infowars: There’s a war on for your mind!
- Little girl, 8, is ‘virtually cured’ of HIV after being given cocktail of virus-busting drugs as a baby
- Globalist fascists and leftist followers begin media censorship campaign
- Another blow to globalism as climate change schemers can’t convince Trump
- A Government of Lies
- Popular Rejection
- Spark a Fire
- Federal Power Grab
- An Eye for an Eye
- Obama, Hillary: No Love Lost
- Sandoval County Focuses on Economic Development
- Time to Catch the Big One
- More Work Needed to Harness Southwest’s Energy Potential
- Contract Talks Come To A Standstill
- Rough Landing…
- Home of The El Paso Chihuahuas Named Ballpark of the Year
- Barcelona attack van driver on the run August 18, 2017The driver, identified by reports as Moussa Oukabir, fled on foot after ploughing into crowds on Las Ramblas.Steve Watson
- U.S. says joint S.Korea war games not on the negotiating table August 17, 2017North Korea views such exercises as preparations to invade itMikael Thalen
- Iraqi Kurdistan Gov’t Happy About Expanding Energy Partnership With Russia August 17, 2017The autonomous region had always had a good relationship with RussiaKit Daniels
- Russia’s Rosatom to build nuclear power plant in China August 17, 2017Far East increasingly independent of American industriesKit Daniels
- UK Leftist Politician Pens Article On Pakistanis Raping White Girls, Pays Price August 17, 2017Forced to resign position under Corbyn for telling truthDan Lyman
- North Korea Missile Landing Zone Threatens Jet Routes Near Japan August 16, 2017Pyongyang fired 7 missiles along two commercial aircraft flightpaths this yearMikael Thalen
- ‘Bloodiest 24 hours’ of Philippines Drugs War, as 32 Shot Dead by Duterte’s Police August 16, 2017War on drugs has killed over 7,000 people in the last year.Adan Salazar
- Iran Supreme Leader Mocks US Over Charlottesville August 16, 2017Tweets picture of himself kissing black baby.Adan Salazar
- Muslim No Go Zones Taking Over Europe August 16, 2017Sharia Law suburbs are popping up throughout EuropeKelen M
- Germany to Introduce Gender-Neutral Urinals For Men & Women August 16, 2017Sexual assaults already skyrocketing in Merkel's utopiaDan Lyman
- Al Qaeda Publishes Blueprint for Attacks on Key U.S. Transportation Systems August 15, 2017Terror group's top bomb maker outlines plan for attacks in AmericaKelen M
- Tillerson: US ‘continues to be interested’ in North Korea talks August 15, 2017Tillerson’s comments come after Kim tabled a plan to fire a salvo of missiles toward Guam.Kelen M
- Doctors say Kim Jong Un may be on Steroids, Giving Him ‘roid rage’ August 15, 2017Widespread speculation 'in the medical community that he has gout, and one of the treatments for gout is steroids.'Adan Salazar
- Police: Girl, 8, killed as car plows into French pizzeria August 14, 2017Another terrorist attack?Kit Daniels
- China issues order to implement U.N. sanctions on North Korea August 14, 2017Beijing issued the banning order on MondayMikael Thalen
- Barcelona attack van driver on the run August 18, 2017
- James Murdoch, Fox CEO, pledges $1m to the Anti-Defamation LeagueDenounces Trump's reaction to Charlottesville violence.
- Videos: MSNBC & CNN Promote Antifa ViolenceNetworks claim Alt-left clubbings are 'preserving fabric of America'.
- Leftist Violence Goes Mainstream In AmericaSustained political street warfare not seen in U.S. since 1960s
- Why Was This ‘Crowd Hire’ Company Recruiting $25 An Hour ‘Political Activists’ In Charlotte Last Week?If your cause is worthy of protest then why would you need to pay $25 per hour to get people to show up?
- Steve Bannon ‘can’t get enough’ of the ‘race-identity politics’ of the Left"Just give me more. Tear down more statues. Say the revolution is coming. I can't get enough of it."
- Ending ‘White Supremacy’ Requires Erasure of Washington and Jefferson, Says Antifa Supporter"Yes Trump, Jefferson & Washington must be next."
- Joint statement from George Bush senior and jr. says exactly what Trump saidThey must be big racist bigots, too.
- Fox’s Shep Smith: We couldn’t find a Republican willing to come on and defend Trump"We worked very hard at it throughout the day, and we were unsuccessful."
- Threats Force Hollywood Cemetery to Remove Confederate MemorialGranite monument marked burial site...
- Fashion Rag Commands Readers to Divorce Pro-Trump SpousesFeminist writer claims supporting president is morally repulsive
- James Murdoch, Fox CEO, pledges $1m to the Anti-Defamation League
You are visitor #